By: Jim Rogers
Keeping patients engaged with your practice makes better health outcomes much more likely. Engaged patients also report higher levels of satisfaction with their dentist.
It can be hard to keep them engaged when many only come to your practice for a few appointments per year.
Here is what you can do to keep patients engaged between appointments.
What is Patient Engagement?
Patient engagement is any communication you provide between appointments, especially online.
- Blog posts
- Facebook posts
- Online patient education
- Appointment and treatment reminders
Why is Patient Engagement Important?
It Builds Trust. More than ever, patients trust online communication from doctors and online healthcare information.
- 80% of Internet users search for health-related information on the web.
- 77% of patients used a search engine (like Google) before booking an appointment.
It Results in Better Health Outcomes. When you involve patients in their own care, they often see better health outcomes. Patients with lower levels of involvement don’t always show the same long-term wellness.
It Makes Your Job Easier. Appointment reminders by text message or email decrease the number of forgotten appointments. Rescheduling those missed appointments means more work for your staff.
What Can You Do to Keep Patients Engaged?
These are some of the easiest ways we have found to keep patients engaged between visits:
Email and Text Reminders. Use email or text messages to send appointment reminders. Catalyst Healthcare Research reports 93% of adult prefer email communication over phone reminders.
Online Appointment Scheduling. Many patients prefer to schedule their appointments online. Not only is this convenient, but it also makes life easier for your staff. Online appointment scheduling means no more days wasted playing phone tag.
Online Patient Education. Videos and other downloadable materials are a helpful supplement to in-person consultations.
Health benefits of online patient education include:
- Improved patient awareness
- Increased confidence towards treatment
- Improved self-care behavior and self-care management
- Improved health outcomes, adherence to treatment, and reduced hospitalizations.
Social Media. Social media is becoming more trusted by dental, medical, and other healthcare practices. Helpful content makes it more likely for patients to stay in touch between visits.
Responsive Web Design. More people now use their smartphone instead of a laptop. If they have to zoom in to see everything, they might go somewhere else. Responsive website designs remove that problem.
How is Your Patient Engagement Strategy?
Now you know what patient engagement is and why it matters for your patients and your practice. We also showed you some of the best ways to keep your patients engaged with your practice.
Officite specializes in patient engagement strategies for dental practices. Call us today to learn more!
- SEO: When Will I See Results? ( November 7, 2017 )
- The Best Time To Reach New Patients ( October 7, 2017 )
- 3 Benefits of Employee Advocacy on Social Media ( September 19, 2017 )
- 3 Steps to Reach Millennials on Social Media ( August 29, 2017 )
- ADA Website Accessibility Compliance: Protect Your Practice ( July 30, 2017 )
- The New Patient’s Journey: How to Attract 5 Kinds of New Patients ( June 18, 2017 )
- On-Page SEO: How Title Tags Benefit Your Website ( May 30, 2017 )
- Goodbye, Desktop: Why Your Practice Needs a Mobile-Friendly Website ( May 15, 2017 )
- What Makes a Good Practice Website? ( April 30, 2017 )
- The Social Media Overshare: What Not to Say on Social Media ( April 15, 2017 )
- What Is Patient Engagement And Why Does It Matter?
- SEO: When Will I See Results?
- The Best Time To Reach New Patients
- 3 Benefits of Employee Advocacy on Social Media
- 3 Steps to Reach Millennials on Social Media
- ADA Website Accessibility Compliance: Protect Your Practice
- The New Patient’s Journey: How to Attract 5 Kinds of New Patients
- On-Page SEO: How Title Tags Benefit Your Website
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- October 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- February 2015
- September 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- September 2011
- August 2011
- March 2011